Southampton pub history index
An Old Shirley Brewery pub since 1879 it was called Star & Garter, when it was taken over by Cooper’s Brewery, the name was changed to the Lord Palmerston, it ended its day as a Watney’s Brewery pub, In 1983 it changed its name to Copperfields. As a point of interest in its early days Palmerston Road was known as West Front, It closed in the mid 2000’s and has stood empty since but as can be seen from photo below it has been sold, will it be reopened or demolished and replaced by flats? Mr Avery the landlord in 1923 was fined £40 on two counts of receiving barrels of stolen beer. *
Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Southampton, Hampshire . The Southampton, Hampshire listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
Lord Palmerston, 10 & 11 Palmerston Road, Southampton
Lord Palmerston, 10 & 11 Palmerston Road, Southampton - awaiting its fate
Kindly provided by Bob Bates
The following entries are in this format:
Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.
Star Garter, 10 & 11 West Front :
1881/Sarah McGregor/Licensed Victualler, Widow/46/Christchurch, Hampshire/Census ****
1881/William H Costello/Lodger, Artist & Landscape & Portrait Painter/24/Isle of Wight, Hampshire/Census
* Provided By Bob Bates
**** Provided By Kevan