Obelisk Hotel & Restaurant in 1907 and 1916
Southampton pub history index
The original pub dating back to the 1850’s was named Obelisk Inn and situated on the corner of Obelisk Road and Canada Road with a one W Cardy as landlord. It closed around 1900 when the present premise opened as the Obelisk Hotel on the other side of the road, It was owned by Brickwood’s Brewery and transferred to Whitbread’s Brewery when they acquired Brickwood’s in 1971, it is now a Free House which has been renamed The Obelisk. *
Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Southampton, Hampshire . The Southampton, Hampshire listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
The Obelisk, 108/110 Obelisk Road, corner Bedford Avenue, Southampton
Kindly provided by Bob Bates
The following entries are in this format:
Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.
1871/James Burrows/../../../Coxs Directory ****
1907/Mrs M A Porter/../../../Kellys Directory ****
1916/Mrs M A Porter/../../../Kellys Directory ****
1927/Charles John William Fellowes/Obelisk Hotel, Obelisk Road, Woolston/../../Kellys Directory ****
1946/Ernest A F Burt/../../../Kellys Directory ****
1954/Wm A Tugwell/../../../Kellys Directory ****
* Provided By Bob Bates
**** Provided By Kevan