Southampton pub history index
This fully licensed Cooper’s Brewery pub was built on the site
of the old Portswood Railway Station, when the station was relocated to it
present site and renamed St Deny’s to accommodate the opening of the Portsmouth
Southampton Line in the 1860’s, it changed to a Watney’s Brewery pub, before it
closed in 1986 and was demolished to allow the construction of Thomas Lewis Way.
July 1892 saw the landlord fined £2 for selling adulterated Whiskey over
the bar * At Upper St Denys Road, Portswood in the 1871 census.
Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical
public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Southampton, Hampshire . The
Hampshire listing uses information from census, Trade Directories
and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
The Railway Hotel, 102 Osborne Road, corner St Deny’s Road,
Kindly provided by Bob Bates
following entries are in this format:
or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.
1871/George Thomas Coulbert/../../../Coxs Directory ****
1907/Edward R Woolford/../../../Kellys Directory ****
1916/Edward Davis/../../../Kellys Directory ****
1925/Mrs Lillie Molland/../../../Kellys Directory ****
1927/Reginald F Daniel/Railway Hotel, 102 Osborne Road, Portswood./../../Kellys Directory ****
1940/Fras B Matson/../../../Kellys Directory ****
1946/Fras B Matson/../../../Kellys Directory ****
1954/Donald H Wright/../../../Kellys Directory ****
* Provided By Bob Bates
**** Provided By Kevan