Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Public Houses in Aldington
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
ALDINGTON is a village, one mile south from Smeeth station, twenty
miles from Canterbury, seven miles west from Hythe, and six miles S.E. from
Ashford station. The population in 1851 was 741. The church is dedicated to St.
Martin. The living is a rectory, with the Chapel of Smeeth, and a peculiar of
the Archbishop of Canterbury. Goldwell is three quarters of a mile N.W.; Simnel,
one mile N.W.; Stone Stead Green, one mile N.W.; Grigley, two miles N.W.; Bank
House, two miles west; Chequer Tree, two miles and a half west; Aldington
Freight, two miles west; Clap Hill, one mile N. W.; Park House, Court Street,
Elley Gale, and Brent, one mile and a half S.E.
POST-OFFICE.-Robert Scott, Receiver. The nearest Money Order Offices are at
Hythe and Ashfprd.
Plater, Rev. C. E., M.A., Curate.