Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
ASH (next Sandwich) is a village and parish three miles N.W. of Sandwich,
and ten from Canterbury; in Wingham hundred, lathe of St.
Augustine, and Eastry union, East Kent. Guilton, or Giltoa Town, is
a hamlet on the same road to the west. The population, in 1851, was 2905.
The church of St Nicholas is a handsome cross shaped gothic building. The living
is a perpetual curacy,
in the bishopric and gift of the Archbishop, and incumbency of the Rev. George
Ridout, M.A.The Independents have a neat place of worship also in the village.
Richborough is a hamlet on a hill, two miles and a half N.E. of Ash, and
one mile and a half N.W. of Sandwich. West Marsh two miles from Ash.
In 1851 the population was 465.
Hillcourt, Goss Hall, Green Street, Brook Street, Weddington, and
Poulton, are places adjoining Ash. Fleet is two miles and a half N,E.;
Cooper Street, two miles N.E.; Sandhills, two miles N.E.; Goldstone, two
miles north ; Coss Street, one mile and a half north; Knell, one mile north;
Overland, one mile and a half N.W.; Each and Each End, one mile and a
half east; Combe, three quarters of a mile S.E.
POST-OFFICE - George Ratcliffe, Postmaster. The nearest Money Order Office is at