Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
BARHAM is a parish six and-a-half miles S.E. of Canterbury, in Kinghamford,
lathe of St. Augustine and Bridge union, East Kent. The church
of St. John the Baptist is an ancient building. The living is a rectory in
the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury. The Rev. Charles Oxenden, M.A..
is the incumbent. The population in 1851 was 1,105. The Downs
are two miles long, on which Canterbury Races are run. Broom Park is
one mile and a quarter long; Derringstone, half a mile S.W.; South Barham,
one mile S.W.; Heart's Delight, half a mile west; Broom, two miles S.E.;
Digg's Place, half a mile north; Den Hill, one mile S.E.; Woolwich, two
miles S.E.; Waldershare Wood lies between Broom Park and Breach Down.
Gravet Castle is the name of a farm,
POST-OFFICE - Edward Joseph Pyner, Receiver. The nearest Money Order Office
is at Canterbury.
Graham, Mrs Elizabeth
Harrison, Rev. Thomas
Montressor, Lady, the Park
Oughton, John Hardwick Esq., Broom park
Oxenden, Rev. Charles, Incumbent
Oxenden, George Charles, Esq.
Ryan, Mrs. Ann
Public Houses in Barham