Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
BEARSTEAD, or BEESTED, is a parish, two miles and a half east from Maidstone. The population in 1851 was 620. The church is dedicated to the Holy Cross, and is a handsome edifice. The living is a vicarage, in. the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Rochester; the Rev. Frederick St. Ledger Baldwin, B.A., is the incumbent. Millgate is one mile S.E.; Chrishmill, one mile and a half east; Ottridge, a quarter of a mile east; Cross Keys, one mile east; Rose Acre Street, a quarter of a mile west; Grove Green and Weavering Street, three-quarters of a mile west; and Magniford, half a mile
POST-OFFICE. - John Copping, Postmaster. Letters aie received through Maidstone,
which is also the nearest Money Order Office.
Baldwin, Rev. Frederick St. Ledger, B.A.; Vicarage
Brcnchley, John, Esq., Millgate
Brett, Mr. Edward, Bearstead Cottage
Blackett, George, Esq., Barty House
Clarke, Redburn, Esq.
Molun, Thomas, Esq.
Smith, Mrs. Snowfield
Wayth, Mrs., Bearstead House
Budds, John, grocer .
Cheeseman, Thomas, carpenter
Delegate, John, shopkeeper
Copping, John, baker and postmaster
Dawson, John and Richard, butchers
Disson, Thomas, beer retailer
Ellis, William, Royal Oak
Godden, Thomas, White Horse
Groombridge, William, blacksmith
Jenner, John, blacksmith
Johnson, Samuel, carpenter
Joy, Jesse, saddler Wright, Charles, farmer
Kipping, George, hop planter
Knowles, Thomas, plumber, etc
Lacey, Miss Frances, haberdasher
Ledger, Charles, wheelwright
Meers, Faith, farmer
Page, John, Rose Inn
Smart, Henry, Kentish Yeoman
Stokes, Michael, farmer
Streatfield, William, registrar of births and deaths
Ward, Richard, farmer
Warman, Benjamin, bricklayer