Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
BECKENHAM is a large village and parish, 10 miles from London, and two N.W. from
Bromley. The population in 1851 was 1,688. In the village and neighbourhood
there are many handsome villas. The church is dedicated to St. George, and is a
plain building. The living is a rectory, in the gift of John Cator, Esq.,
diocese of Canterbury, and archdeaconry of Maidstone; the Rev. Frederick
Chalmers, B.D., is the rector. The Croydon Railway crosses Penze Common,. a
short distance from Beckenham. Clay
Hill is half a mile east; Elm End, one mile S.W.; Shortlands, one mile and a
half east; Langley, two miles south ; Eden, half a mile south; Fox Grove, half a
mile N.E. Elmer's End is a hamlet.
POST-OFFICE. - Richard East, Receiver. Letters arrive from Bromley.