Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
BIRCHINGTON is a parish, 15 miles from Canterbury, three miles north of Minster
station, and three miles and a half S.W. of Margate. The population in 1851 was
885. The church is dedicated to All Saints, and is a handsome building ; the
Rev. Henry Fulham Whish is the curate. There is also a Wesleyan and a Baptist
chapel. Cliff End is one mile N.W.; Gore End, half a mile N.W.; Great and Little
Brook End, one mile S.W; Quekes, half a mile south; Woodchurch, one mile and a
half S.E.; Cheeseman's,
one mile and a half S.E.
POST-OFFICE - George Dennett, Receiver. Letters received through Margate.
The nearest Money Order Office is at Margate.
Cotton, Henry, Esq.
Edwards, Robert, Esq.
Friend, John, Esq., Birchington place
Friend, John, Esq., Brook's end
Neame, Francis Jenkins, Esq.
Neame, Miss Charlotte
Pinker, Mr. R.
Whish, Rev. Henry Fulham, Curate
Public Houses in Birchington
Allard, Ann, mistress of national school
Allard,, Paul, master of national school
Bristow, John, farmer
Collard, Ambrose, farmer
Davis, Thomas, beer retailer
Dennett, George, tailor and draper, and post-office
Evans, John, blacksmith
Goodbourne, William, baker
Harris, Thomas, baker
Hayward, William, Acorn Inn
Holness, Stephen, carpenter
Hudson, James, miller
Neame, Edward, farmer
Oliphant, Daniel, brewer
Pemble, John, grocer
Pemble, Robert, shoemaker
Sidders, Elizabeth, schoolmistress at Crispe's charity
Sidders, Thomas, farmer
Sidders, Thomas, schoolmaster at Crispe's charity
Thorpe, William, bricklayer
Wanstall, Oliver, shoemaker
Wanstall, Wetherden, butcher
Wilson, John, Powell's Arms
Wilson, John, blacksmith
Wilson, Thomas, carpenter
Wootton, William, butcher