Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Public Houses in Blean
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
BLEANE, or BLEAN, is a scattered village, three miles from Canterbury. The population in 1841 was 660. The church is dedicated to St. Cosmus and Damian, and is very small. The living is a vicarage in the gift of the Master of East Bridge Hospital, and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Fielding.
In the forest are Denstrood, four miles from Canterbury; Tyler Hill, or Tile Hill, on the Whitstable railway, two miles; Rough Common, one mile and a half; Elensden, four miles and a half; and Preen Hill, four miles.
POST OFFICE. - John Anderson, Receiver. The nearest Money Order Office is at Canterbury.
|Truman, Charles Joseph, Esq.
Allen, William, farmer, Denstrood
Anderson, Mrs. Anne, farmer
Anderson, John, shopkeeper
Anderson, Stephen, farmer, Denstrood
Baker, Mrs. Mary Anne, farmer
Bedwell, Edward, farmer, Denstrood
Brighurst, Thomas, Blacksmith
Capan, Robert, carpenter.
Cladish, Stephen, farmer
Collard, Mr., Red Lion, and farmer
Court, Daniel, wood dealer
Croasdill, John, farmer, Tyler hill
Fleet, James, farmer
Gibbs, Edward, shopkeeper and farmer
Gibbs, Stephen, farmer
Gibbs, William, farmer
Glover, Thomas, miller
|Goldsack, William, beer retailer
Goodwin, Miss Elizabeth, farmer
Goodwin, George, farmer, Denstrood
Hawkins, James, farmer
Hayward, Mrs. Sarah, farmer
Hogben, William, farmer
Matson, William, dairyman
Methley, W., farmer
Parker, James, wood dealer
Payton, James, former
Sandy, Isaac, wood dealer
Sandy, John, farmer and wood dealer
Taylor, Stephen, wood dealer
Wallace, John, farmer
Wellard, G., Hare and Hounds
Wood, Thomas, wood dealer
Wraight, James, wood dealer
Wraight, Richard, beer retailer