Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
BOXLEY is a village, two miles and a half N.E. of Maidstone, and eight miles
south from Rochester. The population in 1851 was 1508. The church dedicated to
All Saints, is an ancient edifice, and contains some interesting monuments. The
living is a vicarage, in the gift of th Dean and Chapter of Rochester; the Rev.
Frederick Richards is the incumbent. Sandling is a hamlet of Boxley, two miles
S.W. of Boxley, and one mile and a half north of Maidstone. Penenden Heath, the
famous place of meeting for the county, is within this parish. Boarley is one
mile west of Boxley; Weavering street and Grove Green are two miles and a half
from Boxley, and one mile and a half from Maidstone; Vinters is one mile from
POST-OFFICE. - Mrs. Sophia Davis, postmistress. Letters received through
which is also the nearest Money Order Office. .