Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
BRENCHLEY is a parish, and village, seven miles from Tunbridge Wells, two miles
and a half from the Maidstone junction station, and 12 miles and a half south
from Maidstone, The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient building,
built of stone. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Courthope
family. Here is also a Wesleyan chapel. The population of this parish in 1861
The hamlet of Matfield Green is about, one mile and a half west, in which there
are several genteel residences, and a neat Baptist chapel.
POST-OFFICE. - William Carman, Receiver. Letters arrive through Cranbrook. The
nearest Money Order Offices are at Cranbrook and Tunbridge Wells.