Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
Public Houses in Brookland
BROOKLAND and ROMNEY MARSH is a very small village, six miles from New Romney, and twenty-seven miles from Canterbury. The church, dedicated to St. Augustine, is a plain structure. The living is a vicarage; the Rev. Daniel Boys, M.A., is the incumbent. Woodruff is two miles N.W.; Sumner House, two miles N.E. Hope, Fairfield, Old Romney, and St. Mary's, are each small villages in the neighbourhood of New Romney, with a few inhabitants. Eastbridge is four miles sout of Smeeth station.
Burmarsh, is three miles S.W. of Hythe; Mydley, or Midley, is two miles north of Lydd.
POST-OFFICB.- Giles Grist, Postmaster.
Austin, Mrs. Mary | Crisg, Mrs. Elizabeth
Baker, Edward, carpenter
Burgess, Henry, publican
Butler, John, carpenter
Butler, Miss Margaret, school
Cotton, John, blacksmith
Finn, John, auctioneer and butcher
Grist, Giles, Royal Oak and postmaster
Kingsnorth, Adolphus, farmer
Powell, Alfred, boot and shoe maker
Santer, George L., draper and grocer
Simmonds, Clifton, grazier
Tickner, William, farmer
Tunbridge, William, corn factor and baker
Wraight, William H., farmer
Wratten, Thomas, boot and shoe maker