Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
CHARLTON is a suburb of the metropolis; it is pleasantly situated,
about one mile and a half from Blackheath, Woolwich, and Greenwich. The
population in 1851, including Blackheath, was 4,818. A large pleasure fair is
held here in October. The church of St. Luke is an ancient building. The living
is under the jurisdiction of the See of London. The Rev. Arthur Drummond, M.A.,
is the incumbent. The church at New Charlton is dedicated to St. Thomas; The
Rev. A. De Lemare is the minister. There is also a neat Wesleyan Chapel at New
POST-OFFICE. - Robert Henry Osborne, Receiver, New Charlton.
Old Charlton._ E, Light, Receiver. The nearest Money Order office is at
Traders in Charlton in 1858
Public Houses in Charlton