Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
COWDEN is a village and parish, five miles S.E. from Edenbridge station, and
nine miles west from Tunbridge Wells. The population in 1851 was 712. The
church, dedicated to St. Maiy Magdalen, is a small ancient building. The living
is a rectory; the Rev. Thomas Harvey, M.A., is the incumbent.
POST-OFFICE - William Newton, Receiver. Letters arrive through Edenbridge,
which is also the nearest Money Order Office.
Public Houses in Cowden
Carmichael, Sir James, Oakdean
Fox, Robert, Esq., Falconhurst
Harvey, Rev. Thomas, M.A., Rectory
Hunt, Rev. Robert Shepland, Eilells
Ramsden, Arthur Charles, Esq., Hollywich
Talbot, Hon. Mrs. J. C., New Falconhurst
Whatley, Miss E. W., Hollye House