Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
CRAYFORD is a small ancient town, two miles north of Erith station, sixteen
miles from London by railway and thirteen miles by road, and one mile and a half
west from Dartford. The rover Cray crosses the town, The population in 1851 was
2,935. There are several extensive silk and calico printing establishments. The
church of St. Paulinus stands on an emionence at the upper end of the twon, and
is a very commodious edifice. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of
Thomas Austen, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Morland Austen, M.A. There
is an elegant Catholic chapel, and a place of worship for the Baptists.
POST-OFFICE. - Mrs. Sarah Buck, Receiver. Letters arrive through Dartford, which
is also the nearest Money Order Office.
Public Houses in Crayford & Crayford
1911 pub history census summary
Austen, Rev. Henry Morlandj M.A., Rectory House
Donoven, Rev. A. David, Catholic
Evans, David, Esq.
Grantham, John, Esq.
Grantham, John, Esq., F.R.C.S.
Harris, Thomas, Esq.
Heath, George, Esq.
Horner, Edward, Esq.
Hoskins, Rev. Charles Henry, Baptist
Jackson, John, Esq.
Langdale, Rev. George Augustus
Lloyd, Robert, Esq.
Longlands, Rev. W. A., Curate
Reeves, James, Esq.
Swaisland, Charles, Esq.
Tibbetts, Thomas, Esq.
Wreford, Samuel, Esq., Manor House