Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
DENTON is a parish seven miles north of Folkestone, and eight miles N.W. of Dover, in Dover union, lathe of St. Augustine, East Kent. The population in 1851 was 197. The church is dedicated to Mary Magdalene. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury, and patronage and incumbency of the Rev, George C. Lamotte, M.A. Denton Court is the seat of C. P. Cooper, Esq., Q.C. Shelven is half a mile west; Tappen and Gatridge half a mile south; Selstead and Maypole one mile south; Gore
Hill one mile S.W., Yeding one mile east.
POST-OFFICE. - Charles Page, Receiver. The nearest Money Order Offices are at
Folkestone and Dover.
Cooper, Charles Purton, Esq., one of her Majesty's Council, LL.D., Provincial Grand
Master of the Freemasons of Kent, Denton Court
Lamotte, Rev. George C., M.A., Rector
Montressor, Captain, Denne hill
Austen, George, farmer
Baker, John, tailor
Bishop, John, farmer
Cheeseman, William, shopkeeper
Colyer, George, farmer
Page, Charles, bootmaker, and post master
Pledge, Thomas, farmer
Quested, Matthew, carpenter
Seath, Francis, Red Lion
Wanstel, George, baker
Webb, Charles, bricklayer