Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
DYMCHURCH is a town and parish, four miles and a half N.E. from New Romney, and
five south from Hythe, The church of St. Peter and St. Paul is an old building.
The living is a rectory, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor; the Rev. S.
Mackarness is the curate. The population in 1851 was 650, The Wesleyans,
Methodists, and Baptists, have each a chapel here.
POST-OFFICE. - John inden, Receiver. The nearest Money Order Offices are at
Hythe and New Romney.
Elliott, James, Esq., New Hall
Mackarness, -Rev. Henry'S., Curate
Jones, John, Esq., Magistrate
Ashdown, George, boot and shoe maker
Ashdown, Thomas, blacksmith
Bates, James, butcher
Blake, Thomas, farmer and grazier
Boorman and Co., farmers
Caister, John, ironmonger, draper, and grocer
Castle, Robert, grazier
Colleet, William, beer retailer
Coleman, Francis, veterinary surgeon
Collings,, Henry, beer retailer
Court, Robert, farmer '
Edward, John, greengrocer
Elliott, James, civil engineer, New Hall
Goddin, Jobn, grocer
Gut, Robert, boot and shoe maker
Hunt, Leonard, coal merchant
Kingsmill, Edward, grazier
Lorden, Jonah, builder
Prior, James, miller
Prior, John, baker
Prior, George, boot and shoe maker
Simpson, George, beer retailer
Sinden, John, post-master
Smith, David H, tailor
Smith, James, butcher
Stokes, John, Ship
Waddell, John, shoemaker
Wraight, Edward, .carpenter