Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
Public Houses in Barming
BARMING, a parish three quarters of a mile from East Farleigh station, and two
miles and a half S.W. of Maidstone. The population in 1851 was 583. The church,
dedicated to St. Margaret, is a fine building. The living is a rectory, in the
gift of the Crown. The Rev. William Home, M.A. is the incumbent. Barnjet is half
a mile west.
POST-OFFICE. - Thomas Hards, Receiver. Letters received through Maidstone, which
is also the nearest Money Order Office.
Carless, Mrs. Hannah Maria
Home, Rev. William, M.A.
Randall, Mr. William
Stanton, Colonel, Barming House
Thompson, Mrs. Lucy, Medway Cottage
Whittaker, Charles G., Barming Place
Buckland, James, farmer
Burgess, Elias, blacksmith
Coggen, John, farmer
Cooper, Thomas, shopkeeper
Golding, Mrs. Mary, farmer, Court Lodge
Goodsell, William, farmer
Hards, Thomas, Bull and postmaster
Larking, John, farmer
Mosely, William, Kentish Yeoman
Ruck, Stephen, boot and shoe maker
Samson, Friend, jun., beer retailer
Samson, Friend, sen., boot and shoemaker
Startup, William, beer retailer
Talbot, Mrs. Mary, shopkeeper
Taylor, Thomas, parish clerk and schoolmaster
Waterhouse, James, carpenter