Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
EAST and WEST LANGDON. These two villages are about a mile from each other. West
Langdon had a population in 1851 of 140 inhabitants. East Langdon is three miles
and a half north of Dover. The village is small. The church is dedicated to St.
Augustine. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Earl of Guilford,
and incumbency of the Rev. William Dugdale Astley, M.A., The population of East
Langdon was 352. West Langdon is four miles north of Dover. The church is
dedicated to St. Mary. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the
Archbishop of Canterbury. The Rev. Edward G. Boys, M.A., is the incumbent.
Marten is half a mile north; Appleton, one mile north; Solton, one mile south;
Maiden Soule, ,one mile and a half N.W. Letters through Dover, which is also the
nearest Money Order Office.
Astley, Rev. William Dugdale, Rector | Hambrook, Mr. George, Marten
Ash, Thomas, shoemaker
Baker, Lawrence, farmer
Finnis, Thomas, carpenter
Finnis, Henry, blacksmith
Hammond, William, shopkeeper and beer house
Hambrook, Nethersole, blacksmith
Hines, Sophia, shopkeeper
Jeken, James, farmer, Marten
Knott, Miss Ann, schoolmistress
Prebble, John, farmer
Richards, Thomas, farmer
Rogers, Stephen, carpenter
Sandford, Mark, farmer
Smith, James P, farmer
Stanger, John, miller, Marten
Taylor, Benjamin, farmer
Yonden, Anne, Four Bells