Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
Sutton Valence, or Town Sutton, is six miles S.E. from Maidstone, and five miles
N.E. from Staplehurst railway station. The population in 1851 was 1,090. The
church is dedicated to St. Mary. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of
the Dean and Chapter of Rochester, together with the curacy of the adjoining
parish of East Sutton. The population of East Sutton, in 1851, was 383.
Chart next Sutton: here is an ancient parish church. The living is a vicarage,
in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Rochester, who are lay rectors ; the
Rev. W. A. Vaughan, M.A., is the vicar. The population of Chart Sutton, in 1851,
Filmer, Sir Edmund, Bart., East Sutton Place
Key, Rev, M., M.A.
Bentley, Richard, farmer
Boorman, Thomas, farmer
Boucher, John, miller
Boucher, Thomas, farmer and hop planter
Day, Edward, farmer
Hadley, William, farmer
Long, William, and Son, farmers
Paine, William and Henry, farmers
Taylor, John, blacksmith