Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
EASTLING, is a village, five miles S.W. of Faversham, and six N.E. of Lenham. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The living is a rectory, in the gift of the Earl of Winchelsea, the Rev. George B. Reynardson, M.A., is rector. The population in 1851 was 414. North Court is half a mile north; Thong half a mile south; Huntingfield one mile and a half S.E.; Arnold's Oak, one mile and a half S.E.; Hockley Hole and Divan Court are other places.
POST-OFFICE. - Horace Robins, Receiver. The nearest Money Order Offices are at Faversham and Charing.
Bird, Mr. John, Pink Hall
Reynardson, Rev. G. B., Rector
Smithe, Roger Henry
Barling, John, farmer, Arnold's Oak
Bensted, James, smith and farrier
Clark, James, miller
Clinch, Mrs. Maria, farmer, Hockley Hole
Drewry, James, surveyor, and parish clerk
Drewry, John, farmer and market gardener
Gibbs, John, butcher
Hills, William, baker and grocer
Leese, Benjamin, farmer, Divan Court
Maxted,.John, farmer, Tong
Murton, Baker, farmer, North Court
Pettman, Thomas, harness maker
Robins, Horace, carman and fruiterer
Rowland, John, farmer, Huntingfteld
Shilling, George, Carpenter's Arms, and carpenter
Terry, William, boot and shoe maker