Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
EASTRY is a large village, two miles and a half south of Sandwich station, four
miles and a half north from Deal, and 13 miles from Canterbury. The population
in 1851 was 1697. The church dedicated to St. Mary, is a spacious edifice. The
living is a vicarage in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and incumbency
of the Rev. Charles Carus Wilson. The Wesleyans have a small chapel here.
The Union House, which is very commodious, is situate at the S.W. end of the
village, and in 1851 had 464 inmates. Heronden is a hamlet half a mile S.W.;
Selson and Gower, half a mile N.W.; Statenborough, quarter of a mile N.E.;
Felderland, or Falderland, and Buckland, one mile N.E.
POST-OFFICE - George Foord, Receiver. Letters arrive from Sandwich, which is
also the nearest Money Order Office.
Public Houses in Eastry
Boteler, William F., Esq.
Castle, Robert, Esq.
Castle, Thomas, Esq.
Deveson, Mr. Richard
Evans, Thomas, Esq.
Harvey, the Misses
Harvey, Capt. John, R.N.
Kenrick, John, Esq.
Sayer, Capt. George, R.N.
Wilson, Rev. Charles C.