Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
ELHAM or Eleham, is a parish in Longborough hundred, and lathe of Shepway,
twelve miles south of Canterbury. This place was formerly a market town. The
population in 1851 was 1,207. The church is a fine edifice in the early
English style. The living is a vicarage in the gift of Merton College,
Oxford. Rev. W. Wodehouse, vicar.
Standen Hill is one mile east; Ladwood, Winterdown, Oad and Blandred, two
miles east; Wick, one mile S.E.; Shuttlefield or Shettlefield, two miles
south; Ottinge, one mile and a half S.W.; Rhoads, Minnis, Monkgate, and
Mapheggar, two miles west;
Axted, half a mile west; Parkgate, three quarters of a mile N.W.; Greenacre,
one mile and a half north; Bevans Green, two miles and a half north;
Bladbean or Bladbin, two miles north; Wingmore, two miles and a half north;
White-horse and Red-hook, three miles north; Lodge Lee, two miles north;
Windgate and Rake's Hole, two miles N.E.
POST-OFFICE - Richard Keeler, Receiver. The nearest Money Order Office is at
Folkstone and Canterbury.
Public Houses in Elham
Beattie, James, Esq.
Dale, Mr. William
Keeler, John Mr.
Wodehouse, Rev. Walker, M.A., Vicar