Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
ELTHAM is a small ancient but pleasant town and suburb of London, adjoining Lee,
eight miles S.E. from London, in the lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, Blackheath
hundred, union of Lewisham, West Kent. The population, with Mottingham, in 1851,
The church of St. John is a plain edifice, but was considerably improved and
enlarged in 1819.
The living is a discharged vicarage, in the diocese of London. There are six
almshouses, founded by Thomas Philpot, in 1680, and Foster's Almshouses. There
are two chapels - one for Independents, and the other for Wesleyans.
Mottingham is a hamlet, partly in the parish of Eltham, and partly in that of
Chislehurst, about one mile south from Eltham church,
and three miles N.W. from Bromley.
POST-OFFICE. - James Lawrence, Postmaster. Money Orders are granted and paid at
Public Houses in Eltham
TRADERS in Eltham in 1858