Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
FARNBOROUGH is an extensive parish and village, with the hamlets of Grinstead
Green and Lock's Bottom, with a population of about 920 inhabitants. It lies on
the road from London to Sevenoaks, four miles from Bromley, and 14 from London;
is in the lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, Ruxley hundred, West Kent. The church of St.
Giles is an old building of flint and brick. The living is a chapelry, annexed
to the adjoining parish of Chelsfield; the Rev. Follett Baugh, M.A., rector of
Grinstead Green, or Greenstreet Green, is a hamlet partly in this parish and
partly in Chelsfield, one mile south-by-east from Farnborough. Lock's Bottom is
another hamlet in the parish of Farnborough, from which village it is three
quarters of a mile north-by-west. The Bromley union workhouse is situated here,
and will hold 200 inmates; also the police station.
POST-OFFICE. - Robert Sessions, Receiver. New Inn Letters arrive from Bromley,
which is also the nearest Money Order Office.
Public Houses in Farnborough
Fowler, Mr. John
Smith, Rev. Rowland, M.A,, Curate