Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
FAVERSHAM, anciently Fifersham, is a seaport, market, union, and County Court
town and borough, of four parishes, Faversham, Ospringe, Davington, and Preston,
lying on Faversham creek, adjoining the Swale, and forming several streets near
the Watling street, half a mile north of the London and Canterbury road. The
town is seven miles S.W: of Whitstable, and east of Sittingboume, nine west of
Canterbury, and 47 from London. The population in 1851 was 7,450. The living of
Faversham is a vicarage, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury
Cathedral. The church, dedicated to St. Mary of Charity, is a large ancient
building of flints, quoined with Normandy stone, in the shape of a cross. The
town has four streets, forming an irregular cross, lighted with gas, and paved.
The market days are Wednesdays and Saturdays.
Public Houses in Faversham
TRADERS in Faversham in 1858 Melvilles Directory by surname
A to I ; J to W
OSPRINGE, three quarters.of a mile S.W. of Faversham, part in the borough. The
living is a vicarage, in the patronage of St. John's College, Cambridge. The
church is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul.
DAVINGTON adjoins on the N.W., on the opposite side of White-hall stream, over
Stone bridge. The living is a donative, in the patronage of Thomas Willement
Esq. The.church is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalen.
PRESTON adjoins Faversham on the south. The living is a vicarage in the
patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is dedicated to St.
Catherine. Brents Town is a hamlet on the opposite bank of the creek; Ewell is
one mile east; Marnade half a mile east; Westwood three-quarters of a mile S.E ;
Copton one mile S.E.; Perrycourt quarter of a mile south ; Brogdale three
quarters of a mile south ; White Hill one mile south; Bysing Wood one mile west;
Sindall one mile west; Judd's Hill half a mile west; Hemstead Fostal two-miles
S,W;.; Painters Postal.two miles S.W. ;
Elverland three miles' S.W.; Scooks three miles and a quarter S.W. Stone, one
mile and a half west, is a parish with a population of 86. The church is in
POST OFFICE - John B. Sharp, sen., Postmaster. Money Orders are granted and paid
at this Office.
PLACES OF WORSHIP.
Faversham Church - Rev. Charles Collins, M.A. Vicar; Rev. William Joseph
Randell, B.A., Curate
Ospringe Church - Rev. William Nathaniel Griffin, M.A., Vicar
Preston Church - Rev. James Peto, LL.B., Vicar
Davington Church - Rev. Henry Cosgrave, M. A. Incumbent
Independent Chapel, Partridge lane - Rev. Henry J, Book, Minister
Wesleyan Chapel, Preston street - Ministers various
Baptist Chapel, Gatefield lane - Minsters various
Wesleyan Methodist, Brent's town - Minsters various
Primitive Methodist, the Quays - Minsters various
Latter Day Saints, Brent's town - Minsters various
Bible Christian Chapel, Abbey place - Rev. Thomas Gammon, Minister
Free Grammar School adjoining Church yard - Rev. Sampson Kingsford, Master
Commercial School, Cook's Ditch - George Robinson, Head Master; William Drake,
Literary and Scientific Institution, Court street - William Maile Secretary
Assembly Booms, Preston Street - Superintendent, James Tassel, Solicitor
Custom House, Court street - Mr. Francis Waring, Collector, and Mr. Edward
Faversham Union at Ogpringe - John Pringer, Master; Mrs. Rebecca Pringer, Matron
Chaplain - Rev. J. D. Eyre, M.A ; Clerk - William Maile ; Schoolmaster - Thomas
Elvy, Mistress - Jane Wallington ; Infants' - Mary Wise.
Hilton, Rigden, and Hilton, drawn on Prescott and Co., London.
Savings Bank, East street - Mr. H. E. Coulter, Actuary; William Rigden Esq.,