Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
STURRY and FORDWICH. Story (Stour eye), the Isle of the Stour, and Fordwich. The
place of the ford is situated on the river Stour, at the point where the Margate
and Herne Bay roads diverge. Sturry is in Bleengate hundred. The population in
1851 was 997, and Fordwich 237 inhabitants. Sturry Church, Rev. Charles Wharton,
M.A., vicar. St. Mary's Church, Fordwich, Rev. Edward Brailsford, M.A., rector.
There is also a Wesleyan Chapel. Walmore Hill is half a mile N.E.; Switch and
Broad Oak half a mile N.E.; Shelford one mile N.W.; Carkett one mile and a half
north; Hicks Fostal, two miles north ; Blacklands two miles N.W.
Brailsford, Rev. Edward, M.A.,
Rector Pearse, Richard Philip, Esq., Sydenham house
Austen, Thomas, George and Dragon
Brown, Charles, carpenter
Friar, George, boot and shoe maker, and parish clerk
Kennett, William & Son, nursery and seedsmen
Kensey, William, baker and grocer
Leman, James John, coal merchant
Mead, Charles, cattle salesman and auctioneer
Noble, William, linendraper
Walter, John, grocer and baker
Webb, Thomas, farmer
Wootton, John, farmer