Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
GOODNESTONE is a village, eight miles east from Canterbury, and six miles S.W,
from Sandwich; The church of the Holy Cross is a handsome edifice. The living is
in the patronage of Sir. B. W. Bridges, Bart. The population in 1851 was 392.
Bannington is half a mile S.W.; Bowling, one mile east.
POST-OFFICE. - Stephen Castle, Receiver. The nearest Money Order Office is at
Bridges,Sir B.W.,Bart.,M.P.,Goodnestone Park | D'Aeth, Narborough Hughes, Esq.
Bassett, William, shoemaker
Bushel], John, fanner
Dawson, Richard, farmer
How, James, farmer and butcher
Hatcher, George, maltster
Hutson, Henry, blacksmith
Minter, Thomas, farmer
Mount, David, shopkeeper
Mount, Robert, saddler
Page, Daniel, farmer
Pidduck, William, farmer
Ratcliife, Charles, farmer
Ratcliffe, James, farmer
Raymer, William, Bridge's Arms