Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
Goudhurst pub index
GOUDHURST is a village and parish, five miles from Marden railway station, 13
miles from Maidstone, 13 miles from Tunbridge, and 11 miles from Tunbridge
Wells. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient but handsome building.
The living is a vicarage, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Rochester; the
Rev. George Charles Irving, M. A., is the incumbent. The population in 1851 was
KILNDOWN, or DOWNKILN, is a village, chapelry, and hamlet of Goudhurst, two
miles and a half S.W. of Goudhurst, and seven miles south from Marden station.
The population in 1851 was 854. The district church in Kilndown, dedicated to
Christ, is a handsome modern building. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the
gift of the Vicar of Goudhurst, and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Harrison.
POST-OFFICE - George Monckton Stevens, Sub-Postmaster. Minor Money Order Office.
Post Town, Staplehurst. Letters arrive from London through Staplehurst, by
Mail-cart, at 5.15 A.M. ; delivered at 6 and 7 A.M. ; dispatched at 8 P.M.
BRANCH OFFICE at Kilndown - James Wallis, Receiver.
Allen, Rev. Udney J. T., M.A., Curate
Blackman, Mrs. Mary
Calcutt, Thomas, Esq., Pleasant place
Cornwallis, Miss C. F., Lidwells
Harrison, Rev. Henry, Kilndown
Hinds, George, Esq. Springett, Frederick, Esq.
Hope, Alexander James Beresford, Esq., M.P. for Maidstone, Bedgebury
Irving, Rev. George Charles, M.A., Vicar
Newington, Samuel Wilmott, Esq.
Newington, Samuel Tompsett, Esq.
Oakden, Ralph, Esq., Deputy Lieutenant for Kent, Ladham House
Pope, Mrs. Sarah
Roberts, Mrs. M. Cramer, Branfold
Springett, Richard, Esq., Finchcocks
Stringer, Stringer, Esq., Paynetts
Stringer, Mrs. Catharine, Paynetts
White, Richard, Esq., Maypole House