Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
GROOMBRIDGE is considered part of Speldhurst parish, and is four miles west from Tunbridge Wells. The population in 1851 was 180. The church of St. John is a small structure, with a turret. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Speldhurst; the Rev. Benjamin Whitelock, M.A., is the curate.
POST-OFFICE. - Miss Susan Hughes, Receiver. Letters arrive from Tunbridge
Wells, which is also the -nearest Money Order Office.
Field, G., Esq.
Saint, Mrs,, Groombridge place
Stirling, Sir Walter, Bart.
Adams, Thomas; saddler
Chewter, Thomas, boot maker
Baldwin, John, wheelwright
Durrant, John, miller
Goodman, Thomas, butcher
Hall, James, carrier
Hilder, William, appraiser, &c.
Hill, George, plumber
Hughes, Miss Susan, Crown, and postmistress
Kemp, Alfred, watchmaker
Killick, Thomas, shopkeeper
Peerless, William, plumber and glazier
Porter, Henry, day and boarding school
Richards, Thomas, blacksmith
Sands, Samuel, carpenter
Wallis, William, surgeon
Winnifrith, Robert, tailor