Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
HADLOW is a large village and parish on the main road from Maidstone to
Tunbridge station, 10 miles S.E. from Maidstone, and four N.E. from Tunbridge.
The population in 1851 was 2,395. The church, dedicated to St Mary, is a neat
edifice. The living is a vicarage, in the presentation and incumbency of the
Rev. James Isaac Monypenny, M.A. There is a Baptist and also a Wesleyan chapel.
Bourn Side is one mile and a half south; Golden Green, one mile S.E.; Dairy
Farm, onw mile and a half south; Hartlake Bridge, two miles south on the Medway;
Camel's Land, one mile and a half south; Fishall, one mile and a half S.W.;
Stair and Pen Bridge, two miles S.W.; Green Trees, two miles S.W.; Finch Green,
two miles S.W.; Pottery, one mile and a half N.W.; Stallion's Green, one mile
S.W.; Barn Street, one mile S.E.; Starve Crow, two miles west; Lower Gage Green,
three miles S.W.
POST-OFFICE. - Josiah Oliver, Receiver. Letters arrive from Tunbridge. Money
Orders are granted and paid at this Office.
Public Houses in Hadlow
Bowman, Robert Henry, Esq., Grange
Carnell, the Misses Jane and Emma, New House
Gordon, James Edward, Esq., Hadlow House
Hales. _, Esq.
Holdswovth, Rev. G. H,, Curate, Parsonage
Kibble, Thomas, Esq., Green Trees
Lovejoy, Mr. Charles, Tench
May, Walter Horatio, Esq.
Monypenny, Rev. James Isaac, M.A. Vicar, Vicarage
Vine, George John, Esq.