Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
HAWKINGE is a parish in Folkestone hundred, and Elham union, and division lathe
of Shepway, East Kent. The population in 1851, was 129. The old church of St.
Michael has a bell [in a small wooden turret. The living is a rectory in the
patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury. The Rev. George S. Elwin is the
incumbent. Uphill is a hamlet on the high road from Folkestone to Canterbury ;
Stanley is half a mile east; Standen one mile N.E.; Drillingcour one mile and a
half N.E.; Raindean one mile N.W ; Mudshole half a mile west. Letters received
through Folkestone, which is also the nearest Money Order Office.
Barratt, Mrs. Hannah, shopkeeper
Drury, Edward, farmer
Drury, Mrs. Hannah, Maypole
Kelsey, William, farmer and miller
Kelcey, William Marshall, farmer
Marsh, Robert, shopkeeper
Pilcher, Thomas, shoemaker
Pearce, Thomas, farmer
Seath, Marsh, farmer
Spencer, Peter, farmer
Standford, James, carpenter