Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
HAYES is a village two miles S.S.W. from Bromley, 14 from London, and four miles
and a half from Croyden railway station. The population in 1851 was 552.
The church is dedicated to St Mary, and is in the centre of the village. The
living is a rectory in the dioceses of Canterbury, and gift of the rector of
Orpington. The Rev George V Read is rector.
Barnet is half a mile south, and Burston one mile west.
POST-OFFICE. - John Mumford, Postmaster. Letters arrive from Bromley.
Alp, Mr. William
Back, Mr. John
Gator, Colonel John Farnaby
Drummond, Rev. William
Dudin, James, Esq.
Findlay, Mr. Alexander, Hayes' common
Fry, James Thomas, Esq., Hayes' co'mmon
Hare, William, Esq.
Maysey, Frederick, Esq.
Reed, Rev. George V., Rector
Strong, Mrs. Catherine
Thompson, Captain T. S., R.N.
Trail, Miss W. B., Hayes' place
Angus, Jonathan W., mealman
Bath, Thomas, tailor
Butcher, John, bricklayer
Harrod, James, shopkeeper
Holmes, Humphrey, bootmaker
Jackson, George, brewer
Langridge, Joseph, blacksmith
Ledger, William, builder
Mumford, John, draper and postmaster
Pearce, John, market gardener
Russell, James, shoemaker and parish clerk
Staple, Thomas, grocer and brewer
Taylor, William, farmer
Twort, Henry, farmer
Vidler, Richard, George and Dragon
Whitby, James, baker, etc.