Herne Bay, Blean, Canterbury
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
HERNE BAY is a pleasant watering-place, and situated on a beautiful bay on the northern coast of the county, in Herne parish, Bleangate hundred, and Blean union. Distant nine miles from Canterbury, and six north from Sturry station. The population
in 1851 was 1,361. The town is well lighted with gas; a markethouse has been built. Christ Church is capable of accommodating upwards of 800 persons, inclusive of free sittings; the Rev. George Greaves, M.A., is perpetual curate. There are National and Infant Schools. The Independent chapel is a neat building. Wesleyan chapel, ministers various. Assembly Rooms, opposite the pier. Gas works, King street. Literary institution, William street. Coast guard station, near St. G«orge's terrace. The clock tower, Marine parade.
POST-OFFICE. - James Collins, Postmaster. Letters arrive from Canterbury by
Public Houses in Herne Bay
Brough, John, Esq., Thatched Cottage
Cartaar, Mrs., Esplanade buildings
Dockeral, Mr. William, Underdowns street
Evans, Rev. George W. D., 9, Marine terrace
Parley, Mr. Thomas, 2, Underdowns street
Gloss, Robert, Catherine lodge, Underdowns. street
Greaves, Rev. George, M.A., incumbent of Christ church, 13, Marine terrace
Macleburg, John, Esq., Agnes Cottage
Newman, Rev. John, Independent minister
Reynolds, George W. W., Esq., Belmore Hall
Slowman, Abraham, Esq.
Tapsell, Mrs., High street
Tassell, Mr. John, Talford terrace
Thurlow, Captain, St. George's terrace
Tupper, Mr. John
Wylie, Mrs., Brunswick house
Herne Bay TRADERS in 1858