Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
HINXHILL is a small village three miles east of Ashford station, partly
in the hundred of Chart and Longbridge, and union of East Ashford. The
church is dedicated to St. Mary, and is a small ancient building. The living
is a rectory, united with that of Brooke; the Rev. John Philpott is the
incumbent. The population in 1851 was 135. Godcheap is half a mile
north ; Plumpton Green, and Spelders Hill, half a mile N.E.; Neckle, half
a mile east; Blackwall, one mile N.W.
Letters through Ashford, which is also the nearest Money Order Office.
Morphew, Jeffery, Esq. | Philpott, Rev. John, M.A.
Luckhurst, Shadrach, farmer | Whitehead, Mrs. Mary, farmer