Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
ST. MARY'S, or HOO ST. MARY'S, is a village, eight miles N.E. of Rochester, and 11 east of Gravesend. The population in 1851 was 320. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The living is a rectory, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Robert G. Burt, M.A. Cervice is half a mile N.E.; Barn Street, one mile east; Hoppers, half a mile S.E.;
Fen Street, one mile S.W.
Letters received through Rochester, which is also the nearest Money Order Office.
Burt, Rev. Robert Gascoyne, M.A., Rector.
Allen, Robert, farmer
Baldock, George, farmer
Blackeder, Thomas W., farmer
Castle, John, Blue Bell
Elliott, John, shopkeeper
Miller, Charles, blacksmith
Nokes, Abraham, shopkeeper
Pye, Henry, farmer
Wood, George, farmer