Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
HYTHE is a small town, parliamentary and municipal borough, and cinque port, in
Elham union, lathe of Shepway, East Kent, on the S.E. coast of Kent, 77 miles
from London, 16 miles from Dover, 25 miles from Canterbury, and two miles and a
from Westenhenger station. The town is governed by a Mayor, four Aldermen and
twelve Councillors. The population in 1851 was 2.675. The Quarter Sessions are
held here.Few towns on the coast are so delightfully situated as Hythe; its
neighbourhood abounding in beautiful walks and rides through a varied romantic
country, while its fine open beach affords an excellent accommodation for
The town is well paved, and also lighted with gas. The church is situated to the
north of the High Street, is dedicated to St. Leonard, and built in early
English style of architecture. The Rev. Richard Edward Formby, M.A., is the
perpetual curate. The Independents and Wesleyans have also their meeting houses
POST-OFFICE, High Street - Mrs. Lydia M. Fisher, Post-mistress. Money
Orders are paid and granted at this Office.
Public Houses in Hythe
Gentry in 1858
Traders in Melvilles 1858 Trade Directory by surname
MAYOR - Thomas Denne, Esq.
RECORDER - Henry Plumptre Gipps, Esq.
CORONER - William S. Smith, Esq.
London and County Bank, High street. - James Drake, Manager
Savings' Bank, High street. - Edward Ashdown, Clerk.
National Provincial Bank, High street. - William Agar Court, Manager.
Royal Military Barracks, Military road. - R. S. Kelly, Esq., Barrack-master and
Coast-Guard Station, Sutherland Fort.
Excise Office, Swan Hotel, High street.
Gas Works, Portland road.
Dispensary, Theatre street. - James Thomas, Dispenser.
Stamp Office, High street. - William Marsh, Distributor.
Literary Institution, Bank street. - Edward Palmer, Secretary j John Burgess,
The Hythe Gaol. - Joseph Higgins, Gaoler,
Town Hall, High street.
Hot and Cold Water Baths, Marine Parade. - Edward Chittenden, Proprietor.
St. John's Almahouse, High street.
St. Bartholomew's Almshouse, High street.
PLACES OF WORSHIP AND SCHOOLS.
St. Leonard's Church. - Minister, Rev. R. E. Formby, M.A.
Independent Chapel, Chapel street. - Minister, Rev. Richard Marsh.
Wesleyan Chapel, Bank street. - Ministers various.
Roman Catholic Chapel, Bartholomew street. - Rev. J. J. Mahe, Priest.
National Schools. - Master, Edward Palmer; Mistress, Ellen Cbisselle; Infants,