Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
THE ISLE OF GRAIN is a completely isolated spot, between the Medway and Yantlett
Creek. The church formerly belonged to the nunnery at Minster, in the Isle of
Sheppey; it is dedicated to St. James; it stands alone, in a dreary spot. The
Rev. George Davies, of Rochester, is the patron and vicar. Letters are conveyed
by the Strood carrier at an extra charge of 1d. for each letter. The Isle of
Grain is 13 miles from Strood, and three miles from the nearest parish. The
population in 1851 was 260.
Dickens, John, farmer
Everist, Richard, farmer
Fry, Jonathan, shopkeeper and carrier
Sellis, Samuel, Cock
Smith, Mrs. Ann, farmer