Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
KENNINGTON is a small parish and village near the Canterbury Railway
and river Stour, two miles north from Ashford, 69 from London, and
12 S.W. from Canterbury. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The
living is a vicarage in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury. Rev.
Robert Deedes Wilmot,.M.A., incumbent. The population was, in 1851,
626. Frogbrook is a quarter of a mile N.E.; Welmington, one mile N.E.;
Burton House, half a mile south; Bybrook, one mile and a half S.W.;
Ulley is a farm.
Letters received through Ashford, which is also the nearest Money Order Office.
Public Houses in Kennington
Billington, Rev. John, M.A.
Carter, Harry William, Esq.
Harris, Mrs. Sarah
Lake, George Herbert, Esq., Kennington Cottage
Wilmot, Rev. Robert Deedes, M.A.
Amos, Daniel, farmer, Bybrook
Amos, John W., farmer, Coring Farm
Andrews, Henry, hurdle maker
Berry, John, pig jobber
Chittenden, John, shoemaker
Clark, John and Son, tile makers, brick makers, and farmers
Clements, James, farmer, seedsman, and nurseryman
Crux, Henry, baker and grocer
Cuckow, George, baker and grocer
Cutbush, Frederick, seedsman and beer retailer
Foster, Henry, farmer
Geering, John, Golden Ball
Harris, John, gardener
Head, James, shoemaker
Hill, Thomas, butcher
Holtum, Henry, farmer
Knowles, Francis, painter and glazier
Oliver, John, farmer
Pellatt, Mrs. Martha, shoemaker
Peters, John, blacksmith
Peters, Charles, carpenter and wheelwright
Peters, William, and Son, carpenters
Price, John, watch and clock maker
Price, Stephen, shoemaker
Shingleton, Miss Mary Ann, schoolmistress
Smith, Joseph, milkman
Stanford, Thomas, shoemaker
Tabrett, Thomas, farmer
Tappenden, Edward, farmer
Young, Thomas and William, maltsters
Young, Thomas, miller
Young, William, farmer, and assessor of taxes, Ulley Farm