Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
KINGSDOWN is a parish, three miles S.E. from Fawkham, and four N.W. from
Wrotham. Here is a small church, surrounded by a wood. The Rev. Samuel Dewe,
M.A., is the incumbent, and the Rev. Thomas Hooper is curate. The population in
1851 was 423. Maplescombe is one mile and a half N.W.; Porto Bello, half a mile
south; Crowhurst, a quarter of a mile east; Pells, one mile south; Hever, half a
mile west; Chimhams, one mile and a half N.W.; East Hill, two miles S.W.;
Knockmill, one mile and a half S.W.; Perry's Lodge, two miles south;Goodbury,
Cotman's Ash, and Steer's Hill, are two miles S.W.
Letters received through Sevenoaks. The nearest Money Order Office is at
Campbell, Frederick P., Esq.
Campbell, W.N., Esq.
Hooper, Rev. Thomas, M.A.
Kingsdown Public Houses
Brittenden, Edward, farmer
Browing, Alfred, farmer
Chilton, Henry, farmer
Crowhurst, John, farmer
Henley, George, bootmaker
Hills, William, Game Cock
Hills, William, farmer
Jackson, Stephen, miller
Jessup, Miss Harriet, wheelwright
Jessup, Isaac, farmer
Paine, John, Porto Bello
Summers, John, farmer
Troughton, Silas, bootmaker
Wadlow, Thomas, blacksmith
Whiting, Thomas, butcher