Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
LANGLEY is a village, six miles north of Staplehurst station and four miles and
a half S.E. of Maidstone. The church is dedicated to St Mary. The living is a
rectory; the Rev. M. B. Pusey, M.A., is the incumbent. The population in 1851
was 360. Porter's Corner is a quarter of a mile north; Five Wents, half a mile
south; Four Wents, one mile S.W.l Laystead, half a mile S.W.
POST-OFFICE.- Joshua Butcher, Receiver. Letters arrive from Maidstone. The
nearest Money Order Office is at Maidstone.
Pusey, Rev. William B., M.A., Rector.
Austin, William, farmer
Avery, Thomas, farmer
Betts, John and James, farmers
Burr, John, farmer
Butcher, Joshua, parish clerk, .shopkeeper, and postmaster
Butler, George, farmer ,
Chambers, Thomas, farmer
Highwood, John, farmer
Honey, Richard, farmer
Kite, Richard, Horse Shoe
Newman, John, farmer
Simmonds, Stephen, farmer