Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
LEEDS is a village and parish, five miles east from Maidstone, and seven miles
north by west from Headcorn station. The church of St. Nicholas is an ancient
edifice, and contains some interesting monuments. The living is a curacy, in the
patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and incumbency of the Rev. Richard W.
Martin, M.A. There is a chapel for Independents.
POST-OFFICE. - George Crump, Receiver. Letters arrive through Maidstone, which
is also the nearest Money Order Office.
Clemmons, Benjamin, Esq.
Martin, Charles W., Esq., Leeds Castle
Martin, Rev. Richard W., M.A., Elsfield House
Leeds Public Houses
Apthorpe, John, schoolmaster
Avery, James, farmer
Bates, Mrs. Ellen, beer retailer
Betts, William, farmer, Felling Mill
Blinkhorne, George, miller, Abbey Mill
Clagget, William, tailor
Cohb, William, wheelwright
Colebrook, Alfred, shopkeeper
Cox, John, blacksmith
Crispe, Mrs. Elizabeth, farmer
Crump, George, postmaster and saddler
Danells, James, Ten Bells
Edmeads, John, farmer
Farmer, William, farmer, Battle Hall
Gibbon, David, builder
Goodwin, George, butcher
Hughes, William, carrier
Iggulden, Stephen, butcher
Pearce, Charles, baker
Pearce, Edward, shopkeeper
Rose, John, George
Spicer, Richard, farmer, Abbey Farm
Sweatlove, John, millwright
Tomlin, Francis, shopkeeper
Tomlin, John, bricklayer
Tuddenham, William, miller