Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
& Archdeacons 1852 directory
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
LEWISHAM, a suburb of London, in the union of its name, lathe of
Sutton-at-Hone, and Blackheath hundred, West Kent; distant four miles and a half
from London, and one mile from Greenwich. The population, which includes
Sydenham, in 1851 was 15,064. St. Mary's church was rebuilt in 1774; it is a
handsome structure, with tower and yery beautiful portico, which is generally
admired, There is an episcopal chapel; also places of worship for the various
denominations of dissenters. Rushey Green and Cockshed are hamlets, one mile
south; Perry Hill and Perry Slough, two miles south.
South End is a large hamlet belonging to Lewisham, four miles south, and two
miles from Sydenham railway station.
POST-OFFICES - Receiving House (north), Edward Clift, Lee Bridge. Receiving
House (south), Robert Patch. Receiving House (South End), Ann Pledger
PLACES OF WORSHIP
St. Mary's Church.- Hon. and Rev. Henry Legge, Vicar.
Episcopal Chape], South End. - Rev. R. S. Forster, Minister.
Wesleyan Chapel, Avenue road.
Independent Chapel, Cross street.
Union Chapel, the Village.
Baptist Chapel, Hurst Buildings.
Gentry in 1858
Public Houses in Lewisham
Traders in 1858 Melvilles Directory