Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
SOUTHEND is a hamlet, in the parish of Lewisham, eight miles S.E. from London, three from Lewisham, and two from Sydenham station. Here is an episcopal chapel, built and endowed by the late T. Forster, Esq., value £100 per annum; the Rev. Stewart Evelyn Forster, B.A., is the incumbent.
POST-OFFICE. - Mrs. Ann Pledger, Receiver. Letters arrive through Sydenham, which is also the nearest Money Order Office.
Forster, Rev. Stewart E., B.A.
Forster, Samuel, Esq., the Hall
Heartley, Mrs., Park House Lodge
Skeggs, John, Esq., Southend road
Washington, Thomas, Esq., Ravensbourne
Public Houses in Lewisham
Barnes, William Henry, blacksmith
Duncan, John, farmer
Edgerton, John, farmer, Holloway Farm
Edgerton, William, farmer
Ellis, Thomas, miller, Southend Mill
Freeman, James P., grocer and baker
Frost, Mrs. Lydia, Green Man
Hockley, James, King's Arms
Kelsey, William, turner and miller
Kidman, William, butcher
Pledger, Mrs. Ann, shopkeeper and post office
Sargent, Matthew, coal dealer
Tapley, Thomas, farmer, Langley Farm
Wickenden, William, shoemaker