Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
LINTON is a village, pleasantly situated on an elevated point, four miles south
of Maidstone. The population in 1851 was 1,082. The church is dedicated to St.
Nicholas, and is a neat edifice. The living is a vicarage; the Rev. Thomas King
is the incumbent. The Maidstone union workhouse is in this parish, and will hold
500 inmates. Clock House is half a mile N.W.; Snode's Hole, one mile west.
POST-OFFICE - Henry lchin, Receiver. Letters arrive through Staplehurst. Money
Orders are granted and paid at this office.
Public Houses in Linton
Cornwallis, Lady Julia, Linton place
Edmeades, the Misses
Horne, Henry, Esq.
King, Rev. Thomas, M.A., Vicarage
Alchin, Henry, grocer and postmaster
Alchin, William, farmer
Allsop, John, farmer
Ballard, Robert, bootmaker
Butcher, William, farmer
Coppin, John, farmer
Coppin, John, jun., beer retailer
Dann, George, butcher
Eversfleld, Edward, assessor of taxes
Fisher, Mrs. Mary, farmer
Goad, John, Bull
Inge, John, farmer
Pawley, William, farmer
Phillpott, Richard, farmer
Phillpott, Thomas, farmer
Russell, Edward, farmer
Sedgewick, Thomas, farmer
Thomas, Henry, beer retailer
Thompson, John, wheelwright
Thornycraft, John, blacksmith
Tompsett, Benjamin, grocer
Ware, William, farmer