Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
LITTLE CHART, is a village twenty one miles from Canterbury; five miles west of
two miles north of Pluckley Station. The population in 1851 was 296. The church
is an ancient stone building;
the living is a rectory, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury;
the Rev. John V. Hamilton, M.A., is the incumbent.
Cale Hill is half a mile east; and Ford Hill half a mile S.E.
Letters received through Charing ; the nearest Money Order Office is at Charing.
Darell, Major Henry John, Cale Hill | Hamilton, Rev. John V., Rectory
Cheesman, Mrs. Isabella, farmer
Cheesman, Robert, farmer
Coomber, Mrs. Elizabeth, the Swan
Freed, James, bricklayer
Langley, George, paper manufacturer
Langley, Luke, registrar of births and deaths for the Cale Hill district
Large, John, miller and farmer, Swallow Mill
Sellen, Thomas, farmer
Sheeder, Charlotte, shopkeeper
Skinner, Daniel, blacksmith
Taylor, John, veterinary surgeon
Wallis, Robert, shoemaker