Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
MINSTER is a large village and railway station, four miles west from Ramsgate,
12 N.E. from Canterbury, eight S.E. from Margate, and 26 from Ashford. The
church of St. Mary is an ancient building in good repair. The living is a
vicarage, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury. The Rev. Robert Thomas
Wheeler, M.A. is the incumbent. There is also a Wesleyan Chapel here. The
population in 1851 was 1,532. Dorlock is one mile S.E.; Wey, one mile N.E.;
Hailing Court, two miles N.E.
POST-OFFICE. - Edward May, Receiver.
Gillow, Mrs. Ann, Wayborough
Hasler, Mr. William
Swinford, John, Esq.,the Abbey
Wheeler, Rev. Robert Thomas, M.A., Incumbent
Public Houses in Minster