Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
MONKTON is a scattered village, two miles and a half from Minster station, seven
miles from Ramsgate, 10 miles S.W. of Canterbury, six miles S.E. of Margate, in
the hundred of Ringslow, and Isle and union of Thanet, lathe of St. Augustine,
East Kent. The church of St. Mary Magdalen is an old building, in good repair.
The living is a vicarage, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury; the
Rev.Richard Peter Whish is the incumbent. The population in 1851 was 388.
POST-OFFICE - John Dome, Receiver. Letters received through Ramsgate.
The nearest Money Order Office is at Ramsgate.
Collett, George, Esq., Walter's Hall
Biflwell, William, Esq., Monkton Lodge
Eason, Mr. Robert
Whish, Rev. Richard Peter, M.A.,Vicar
White, Mrs. Mary
Adams, Sackett, blacksmith
Bartlett, John, farmer
Bidwell, William, surgeon
Browning, Thomas, Royal Exchange
Cave, Thomas, shoemaker
Coleman, John Minter, farmer
Collard, Henry, farmer, Gore Street
Dome, John, carpenter, and post-master
Foreman, George, shoemaker and parish clerk
Fuller, John, carpenter
Hogbin, John, farmer
Miles, James, salesman
Solly, Thomas Wickes, farmer
Stark, Edward, grocer and beer retailer
White, James, farmer, Parsonage