Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
NEW ROMNEY is a small town, 20 miles from Dover, 14 from Ashford, and eight S.E.
from Appledore station. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas, and is a
handsome building, in the Norman style of architecture. The living is a
vicarage, in the gift of All Souls College, Oxford, and incumbency of the Rev.
Richard Smith, B.D. There is also a Baptist and Wesleyan chapel here. The
population in 1851 was 1,053. Here is a small
gaol and union workhouse, market house and assembly room; a County Court is held
every month. Honeychild is one mile and a half north.
POST-OFFICE. - James Vidgen, Postmaster. Money Orders are granted and paid at
Old Romney is a small parish, two and a half miles from New Romney.
The living is a rectory in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury. The
Rev. John Foord, M.A., is the vicar. The parish contains 130 inhabitants.
Letters received through New Romney, which is also the nearest Money Order